- 8 tablespoons room temperature Food Club sweet cream unsalted butter
- 1 cup Food Club light brown, packed
- 1 teaspoon Food Club baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Food Club baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Food Club iodized salt
- 1 teaspoon Food Club pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Food Club unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/3 cups Food Club all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Food Club milk, at room temperature
For the filling:
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup Food Club confectioners sugar
- 1 1/3 cups Food Club marshmallow creme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Food Club pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or line with parchment paper two baking sheets. To make the cakes:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla until smooth. Add the egg and cocoa powder beating until smooth.
- Add the flour to the batter alternately with the milk, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, and beat again briefly to get smooth.
- Use an ice cream scoop and drop approx. 1/4 cupful of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving plenty of room between the cakes because they'll spread out.
- Bake the cakes for 15 minutes or until they're set and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool on the pans for 10-15 mins. While still partly warm, use a spatula to separate them from the pan or parchment. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the filling: Beat together the shortening, sugar, and marshmallow until well combined.
- Dissolve the salt in the water, and add to the marshmallow mixture. Add the vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Once cakes are cooled completely, spread filling on the flat side of half the cakes. Top with the remaining cakes, flat side towards the filling. Serve and enjoy!